Pages

Good Things

Okay, so I still can't divulge specific details about what's happening in my career, but this is how the last two weeks have gone for me.

  • My first sci-fi novel, TIMECASTER, was accepted by Ace/Berkley. Pub date TBA.
  • German rights to AFRAID sold for a tidy amount.
  • I've had a story accepted into the horror anthology BLOOD LITE 2
  • I've had a story accepted into the horror anthology BATS IN THE BELFRY
  • Chinese rights to the Jack Daniels books have sold to China
  • I've had a story and an interview accepted by CEMETERY DANCE magazine
  • I've had another story accepted into a CEMETERY DANCE anthology
  • I'm in negotiations for a 7th Jack Daniels novel
  • I just signed a very high six figure deal for a thriller trilogy (more on this later)
  • I finished my Jack Kilborn novel ENDURANCE two days ago
  • I just got these links in my email this morning:
http://ramascreen.com/the-dowdle-bros-are-afraid/

http://blodic.us/entertainment/quarantine-s-dowdle-brothers-directing-adaptaiton-of-afraid-55-0.htm

http://networkedblogs.com/p25034176

So, in a nutshell, I've gotten more good news in two weeks than I have in 19 years of struggling in this business.

I don't deserve it any of it. But I'm sure happy it's happening.

More details to come as I'm allowed to reveal them. But feel free to spread the word about the AFRAID movie deal. Building buzz is important for this project to get greenlighted by a major studio.

I'd also be curious, for those who have read AFRAID, who you think should be cast as the heroes and villains. Since I have zero say in this, it's purely a fantasy exercise.

For the good guys I'd like Tom Skerritt as the Sheriff (though I wrote it picturing an older Bruce Willis), Mark Wahlberg as Josh the firefighter, Gwyneth Paltrow as Fran the waitress.

For bad guys, Andy Serkis would be a perfect homicidal pyro Bernie, William Baldwin would do a good job as the Ted Bundyesque Taylor, Lou Diamond Phillips would be cool as South American interrogator Santiago, and the hulking Ajax should go to Kane Hodder, who is a pro at that sort of role.

As for directors, the Dowdle Brothers are already attached, and a perfect fit. I loved QUARANTINE. I also loved their first film, THE POUGHKEEPSIE TAPES, about a serial killer who videotapes his victims (anyone who has read my Jack Daniels book WHISKEY SOUR will see some strong similarities.) POUGHKEEPSIE isn't out yet, but I got a bootleg through my nefarious underground connections. It's really a chilling movie, brilliantly executed. Can't wait until it comes out so I can get an official version.

Now I've got to stop fantasizing about Hollywood and get some writing done...

Followers