Pages

Cheese Croutons

 You are going to love these! Cheese Croutons!!! I first had these at my moms house. You can visit her blog HERE. We had them with dinner that night. Recently, because I have been on a lower carb diet, I have been keeping breads and regular croutons out of my diet. I'm down 25lbs BTW. YEAH! Oh sorry for the brag there. I just had too. HA! HA!
So I decided to start making these not only as snacks, but to break up and sprinkle on my salads. They were perfect to kill my craving for croutons.
 What you will need to make these....
EVOO
Garlic Salt
Pepper
Shredded Cheese ( I use Parmesan )
Nuts ( your choice, I like to use pecan, walnuts or pine nuts )
Frying pan and Spatula
 Start by adding oil to the pan. Once heated, add a little shredded cheese to the oil, nuts, garlic salt, pepper and then more cheese on top.
 Let brown, then turn over and brown the other side.
 Place on paper towel to get rid of excess oil.
Enjoy as a snack as is or break up and use on salads or other foods. I love them! My kids love them without nuts. ;-)

Update...
If you don't want to use oil, you can broil these in the oven. I have started doing this lately and it makes them crispier. YUM! Just take a baking sheet, spray with PAM. Make a thin layer of cheese, nuts, garlic salt and pepper, then cheese again. Use you spatula to shape your cheese in portion sizes. I set my broiler to hi and placed my tray on the middle rack. You don't want it on the top rack because they will burn too quickly. Standby and watch as they cook. You won't need to turn them. Once browned to your liking, remove and eat hot, warm or cold. Snacks or broken up crouton style. I love them both ways. The best part about cooking them in the oven is less OIL. You are only getting the natural oils from the cheese, no added oils. YEAH!

Let me know if you try them.

Followers