Pages

Tie Shirt Tutorial

Tie shirts are all over the internet, etsy stores, boutiques you name it.
But if you're crafty and would love to make your own I've got a quick and easy tutorial for you. I think tie shirts are one of the easiest, fastest things to make that make a big impact. My son LOVES his tie shirts and keeps asking to wear them. But it may be a little formal for the playground :)


I realize that everyone has their own way of doing things.
One is not more right than the other, just different...
this is just how I do mine, how I figured out on my own how to do it.
So if it's not right or if it's different, oh well, it works for me.


I start with a piece of cardboard from a cereal box...
find a fold and draw half a tie shape on one side of the fold.
Then cut it out. You've now got a perfectly symmetrical tie.
I draw the bottom of the tie and the knot separately just in case you were wondering.
(This photo is kind of step three but I wanted to show you the cardboard templates)



Then take some of the amazing steam-a-seam 2
peel the paper off one side and iron it onto your fabric.



Then trace around the cardboard template on the back of the paper.
HINT: If you are using stripped fabric or fabric with an obvious pattern do a 45 degree turn of the knot template so the pattern isn't going the same direction for both the tie and the knot, thus making it appear more real!
Then cut it out.



Cut a little curve into the top of the knot piece so it is more "form" fitting to the curve of the shirt. Peel off the second piece of paper, then position it on your shirt and once you're happy with the position of the tie iron it down.



You could just leave it at that, but I like to sew close to the edges just for more stability and to add to the cuteness factor!



Whenever Micah wears his tie shirts to church the men comment on how they wish they could wear a shirt like that!!


If you don't want to make your own let me know, I have an etsy store and would be more than happy to make/sell you one!


Can't wait to see all your little men in their tie shirts! Make sure to link back here if you make one!!


Followers