Pages

Koch (Old German Breakfast) recipe

We are hanging out at my husbands grandparents farm in Missouri today. It's time for the annual butchering! We haven't been able to be at the family butchering for the past five years or so because we lived so far away...but that is not the case any longer. We get half a hog and end up with a freezer full of brats, pork chops, pork steaks, bacon, pork sausage...all sorts of goodies! In honor of going to the farm and being around my husbands whole family I decided to make one of the families old German recipes for dinner before we left.

Koch...say it with a heavy German accent, or just use your throat and if you spit a little that's okay! It's almost like KUUGGGHHHHH. Or as I call it, scrambled pancakes. This is a great recipe when you're low on groceries or even for a quick inexpensive breakfast! We usually only eat Koch for dinner though, weird I know.

Ingredients
2-3 Eggs
2 cups milk
3 cups flour
1tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup lard (I used butter)
sugar or syrup
 Directions
Beat eggs, then add milk. Beat well. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to egg and milk mixture. Beat until smooth. Melt 1/4 cup lard (or butter) in a 9" iron skillet. When lard/butter is hot, add batter and turn heat to medium high. Use a knife to lift dough as it browns. Add more lard/butter as needed. Keep stiring with a knife, and when the batter is almost baked, break it into small crumbs using a spatula. Continue browning the batter as you continue to break up the dough into the size of marbles. Serve with sugar or syrup (we prefer syrup).
 I used the wooden spatula the whole time because I didn't want a knife to scratch my nonstick electric skillet.
 I suppose you could also serve this with jelly, or pie filling, make it your own and try different things. We serve ours with scrambled eggs....Micah had a hard time telling them apart at first!
Let me know if you give this a try and what you think of it. Hopefully next week I can share some photos from our time butchering on the farm! Love family traditions like that, even though grandma and grandpa don't live on the farm anymore...the butchering is still happening!
For some reason my post didn't go live last Saturday...so if you missed our

Followers